Saturday, June 22, 2013

training session

Iris began her 10th week on Thursday. She had a stellar day Thursday, eating well and keeping it all down. Yesterday looked to repeat that pattern up until her nightly fuss time. Yes, vomit. Despite that unfortunate event (and some this morning), she is a learning how to use her body pretty well. Her head control is really impressive. She is also very social. I don't have much to compare her to but I think she is a very happy and curious little girl.

We just returned from our first family trip to Washington Park, one of the many beautiful parks in Denver. She had a great trip. By which I mean to say, she behaved well. We walked a while and then stopped to play frisbee. We also stopped at one point so Iris could have a bottle, which Evan very diligently supplied. Several people stopped to chat and to see Iris. One woman said she had a son who was on oxygen when he was two years old. He is now fifteen and - in her words - a genius. Another woman came by with her 4-month old and wanted to know how old Iris is. My favorite, though, was the man who came up to us and said something like, "Is this a training session?" I laughed and said, "Thank you for calling me out on that." He went on to observe that I was staring intently at Iris and at Evan as if to make sure that the feeding went alright and that Evan was doing it right. I confess. I was. The man went on to say something like, "You can sit back and enjoy the park. You can see he has very strong and steady hands." I did my best to sit back, but I would like to note that part of the reason I was not 'sitting back' was because I was watching the parents on the playground swing their kids on the tire swing. It seemed awfully unsafe to me and the kids were hanging on well but I was worried that they might fall off.

Iris is sleeping well in her crib. The crib happens to be in the same room that Evan has his work station set up so he stayed up working last night in her room while I slept. He loves his job and is happy to be learning 'useful' stuff. He also is experiencing the New Hire Jitters and doesn't feel that he's always performing as well as he should be.




2 comments:

  1. WOW! Sarah! I am SO IMPRESSED at what a good little mom you are!!! So attentive! And so loving!!! Wish all moms were even HALF as much as you are! WAY TO GO!!!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great that people feel so free to come up and start talking when you have a baby with you? Or maybe when a dad is bottle-feeding a baby? I guess babies just make people feel good (usually). They either have advice, or want to share the moment with you. I think babies give people hope.

    ReplyDelete