Wednesday, June 19, 2013

new crib night

The baby monitor arrived yesterday in the mail so Iris slept in her big-girl crib last night. I got almost no sleep. We had been keeping her in her bassinet, which had been in our room with us (actually on our bed). It is much easier to check on her when she is sleeping right next to us so last night was pretty sleepless for me. I hope that I'll learn to sleep better with her in the other room.

The big event of the day for Iris is that she started lifting her head forward as if trying to sit further forward (or up) in her bassinet. I have been worried that she won't keep up with her physical development because of the surgery. We're supposed to be doing tummy time with her but keep an eye on her pain cues.

I have been successful in incorporating walks into our daily routine. Yesterday's walk was quiet and cool. Today's was much hotter. I also was also able to read some of Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach. This is the book my book club is reading this month and I am very hopeful I'll be able to attend the June meeting. This is the same book club I was in back in 2010 when I was living in Denver. A couple of my girlfriends from high school are in it as well as some of their friends. I really look forward to getting involved again.

I've been getting many compliments about what a good job I'm doing with Iris. While I (of course) appreciate the positive feedback, I really don't think I'm doing anything that anyone else wouldn't do. I had planned to be home with Iris during this time even before we knew of her health issues. Confronted with this new reality, we are responding the only way we know how... I think. That said, it would be very easy to wallow in self-pity. I have found it tremendously helpful to hear from those who have had similarly difficult experiences. I generally enjoy reminding myself that I am not at all that unique; in the case of Iris's recent health issues, I doubly enjoy knowing that our story is not all that unique.

It also helps to remind myself that none of this is permanent. Soon Iris will have grown out of her reflux  (cross your fingers) and she will not need the various meds and oxygen anymore. That will be a happy day. A year out (for the digoxin), but a happy day.

In my limited free time I have done some perusing of available jobs nearby. After living at Children's Hospital for nearly 3 weeks, I had in my mind that perhaps I'd try to get into hospital administration rather than higher education administration. I miss having a job (outside of the house) quite a bit. I have decided to take a leave of absence from my PhD program. This means that instead of defending my proposal in August I will take off the the fall semester and hope to defend in the spring semester. After I defend my proposal I will be ABD (all but dissertation) and I will then (only) have to complete the dissertation itself and defend it.

Today was a two-vomit day. I keep trying to tie it to a particular medication. Really, I just want her off of all of them.

Tomorrow's goals: walk, nap, call opthamology for appointment (I keep forgetting that one), write Anne a letter.  

4 comments:

  1. Remember how Dr. Fisher said her baby slept in a crib right from the start? Of course, she slept curled up on the floor right next to the crib...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So don't put yourself under pressure to move too fast on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you don't love unsolicited advice, but I did want to tell you that Drew stayed in his bassinet in our room until he was 8 months old (a full two months longer than the AAP recommendation). We all slept well and I was confident in his safety (SIDS, etc.) So don't feel like you have to rush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it wasn't so much that I couldn't sleep because I was worried she was choking, vomiting, or not breathing. The baby monitor alarms when it stops feeling any movement (including breathing). It was more that she was up every hour fussing.

    ReplyDelete