Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"I love Daddy."

I went into Iris's room the other morning when she announced that she was awake with a cry/wail. I got right up next to her and said, "Did you have a good sleep?" She stretched and looked at me with a big smile and said, "I love Daddy." 

The feeling is pretty mutual. Evan is happy to tell people that playing with Iris is the highligh of his day and the other evening Iris was showing Evan her favorite book. Evan said, "Is that your favorite book? Well, do you know what my favorite thing is, Iris? My favorite thing is you!" 

Iris is one of the most affectionate little people I've ever met - she loves to hug the kids and adults in her daycare classroom and at the church nursery. And when we leave for work she does multiple hugs and kisses with both of us. We certainly encourage it, while also trying to get her to understand that sometimes people don't want hugs or kisses. 

Tomorrow morning (check-in at 6:30am!) she has her second brain MRI, the first having been in January of this year. I bought a couple gas masks that smell like buble gum for us to practice with. I expect the putting her to sleep part of it to be fully awful, as it was last time. 

For every procedure that requires anesthesia I wonder if she'll have a stroke while she's under. It is clear that the likelihood of her experiencing a stroke increases as she gets older and there's almost not a day that goes by that the thought doesn't cross my mind and I wish, "please don't let it be today." I think about it more in the summer when it's hot because being dehydrated can increase the risk of stroke, too. 

We will get the results of the MRI on Tuesday of next week when we meet with the neurologist again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment