Monday, January 5, 2015

farewell 2014

I have been resisting the writing of this end-of-year post. Perhaps in part because it's hard to remember what was happening a year ago. I look through my photos from the past year and I see lots of smiles, lots of family trips, and a few trips to the hospital. But I can't really get a grip on what 2014 was. Maybe this sense of disorientation is just a ripple effect: the year ended with a thud. The ACTA2 news has overshadowed most of what I remember about 2014.

I can say that -- on the whole -- 2014 was better than 2013. I think Evan would agree with me that we end the year with an increasing sense of being settled. I defended my dissertation proposal, I started a new job that I love, Evan still loves his job, we are both committed to having more fun and getting outdoors as much as possible. Meditation is creeping into our lives. And, perhaps best of all, Iris has started sleeping through the night, for real. I'm giddy with excitement at the prospect of future nights of fully restful sleep.

As I look ahead to 2015... I mostly see me turning 35. Yikes. But well before that, I see many trips to the hospital, many tests, and many conversations about what lies ahead for Iris. We now have an idea of the road we're on, and we know we are at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment