Thursday, February 6, 2014

sick

I haven't posted in a while for several reasons. Most recently, the whole house has been sick. Evan brought back a nasty cold from his trip to Baton Rouge and he spent most of the previous week home from work. Iris and I got sick over the weekend and then my mom finally succumbed a day or two ago.

The weekend was pretty rough. Iris noticeably did not feel well and then started coughing loudly right around bed time on Saturday. I called the pulmonary clinic and (after many missed phone calls) we finally got a prescription for a single dose of steroids that we would give to Iris in an attempt to keep her out of the hospital. Evan fulfilled his fatherly duty and drove to the 24-hour pharmacy at 11:40pm to pick it up only to find that the steroid was in fact a pill that we had to crush and somehow get Iris to take. We finally were able to get her to take it at 2am with the help of a medicine dropper and a bottle.

She had been sleeping with us on the steroid night. The night before I mostly held her in the recliner next to her crib. She was so congested that we propped up her crib and had to suck her snot out repeatedly.

After giving her the steroid we had a crazy baby on our hands for 36 hours. She barely ate, wouldn't sleep, and needed constant attention. Meanwhile, I was spewing a river out of my nose, and was having trouble making enough milk due to lack of sleep and general sickness.

The good news is that we are all finally on the mend. Iris woke up rosy-cheeked on Wednesday morning and has been her old self, with the exception of some very strong desire not to be force fed baby food.

Another reason I haven't posted anything substantial for a while is that Iris has been driving me crazy by biting me while nursing. She has mostly stopped this habit, thankfully, but it has heightened my desire to wean her, which makes me want her to take a full bottle even more. She has gotten up to taking about 1 oz from a bottle, but not more. She also doesn't know what to do with a straw at this point and she only kind of knows how to drink out of a cup. All a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment